Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of I-CubeX applications and use. Post here questions about your project, product suggestions, bugs, setup issues, ..

Moderator: Tech

calliope
I-CubeX gear: I2C sensors

Raspberry Pi?

Post by calliope »

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my USB-microDig working with a Raspberry Pi. In theory, I should be able to use the python usb libraries (usb.core and usb.sys) as in this example: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 44&t=47396 and read what's happening. But, I'm not sure how to a) find the USB device and b) separate out the 8 different channels and extract the Midi message. (So basically all I have right now is the idea.)

Has anyone done this yet? At this point, I just want the Pi to be able to capture the microDig messages so I can either re-run them later, or perhaps look at them in real time.

Help appreciated,
Sandy
projectCalliope.com
Tech

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by Tech »

We tried interfacing the USB-microDig with a Raspberry Pi the other day and found that the driver for the USB-microDig is included in the operating system so it automatically creates a port /ttyUSB0 via which it's possible to communicate with the USB-microDig.

We don't have any libraries or API for Python right now but we're working on other tools that will also work on Raspberry Pi, keep checking our homepage for news.

If you're using your digitizer in Standalone mode, each active sensor input will output its data as a the MIDI Channel Voice message as per the way you programmed it using our Editor software. If in Hostmode, to separate out the sensor input channels, you'd have to read the firmware documentation for the I-CubeX digitizer you are using, where the specific MIDI System Exclusive commands are explained. If you'd rather use human-readable commands instead of the System Exclusive messages, you could use our iCube object/external. We've had the iCube object available for Max on MacOS/Windows on Intel/PowerPC but recently released the iCube external for Pd (Pure Data) on MacOS/Windows/Linux on Intel, and we could easily compile the iCube external for the ARM architecture as well. Let us know if you'd like us to do that.
I-CubeX Technical Support
Tech

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by Tech »

We've now released an openFrameworks addon, see http://icubex.com/ofxicubex, that makes it very easy to use I-CubeX with Raspberry Pi.
I-CubeX Technical Support