iCubeX dislike Director?

Discussion of I-CubeX applications and use. Post here questions about your project, product suggestions, bugs, setup issues, ..

Moderator: Tech

linyew

iCubeX dislike Director?

Post by linyew »

Dear all,
I recently just bought a iCubeX digitizer. I have gone though the user manual for more than 3 times to make sure I didn;t miss out any steps in settting up the digitizer. The following is my working environment:
Midi Interface: M-Audio Midisport 1x1 USB
Application: Macromedia Director MX2004 with XMidi xtra

Problem:
I did manage to run the editor and made it work with the digitiser. Hence, everything is connected and run probably, sensor is working well and I can see the value from the editor.

When I switched the mode of the editor to "Host", everything seems dead!! :(
I tried many ways to rectify the problem and wondering where the problem came from. Xmidi? MidiSport? or the Digitizer?

Is anyone have such experience and problem?

cheers,
linyew. NZ
Tech

Post by Tech »

Hi,

The problem you are having may be related to the running status mode on the digitizer when it is in Stand Alone mode. This running status mode prevents the digitizer from repeating continuously the midi status mode header (note-on, pitch bend, control change, ...). So, it sends the running status mode once (note-on on midi channel 1 for example) then sends the data related to this mode (the note number and the velocity) until a change of status (note-number, velocity, note, velo, note, velo, ...). If you started the digitizer before your midi application (or if you connected it to your midi equipment that was powered after the digitizer was) then the digitizer could have sent the running status before you had the application running, so the application (or midi equipment) doesn't know the running status related to the incoming data.

To avoid this problem you can un-power/re-power the digitizer once you started your Director application or using the editor you could program the digitizer to use a dummy sensor (a sensor used to reset the running status mode) to send a midi note-off on an unused midi channel for example. Say you use input 32 as a dummy sensor (you could leave the input unconnected with no sensors as the digitizer would sample noise on this input) and program it to send midi note-off on channel 1 note number 1. This would send a change of midi status to note-off channel 1 when the input 32 is triggered from the sensor (or from noise), hence bringing back the midi status to your midi equipment/software. So when you activate any of the valid sensors (the ones you actually want to use) the midi running status will be changed to whatever you programmed it to send (except midi note-off on channel 1 in our example).

Regards.

--
Technical Support
Infusion Systems Ltd.