Shopping List Advices

Discussion of I-CubeX applications and use. Post here questions about your project, product suggestions, bugs, setup issues, ..

Moderator: Tech

Snow Milk

Shopping List Advices

Post by Snow Milk »

Hi, everybody. I am a current student in MA Fine Art and would like to do a very simple interactive sound installation for my interim show. It’s my glad if anyone whom can give me any suggestions or advices on what should I order here to do so. Thank you very much. :oops:

What I want to do is very simple:

When an audience stand in front of an object (let’s say a painting), the sensor can detect it, and response to it by means of playing a midi file I recorded in advance. The mechanism is a bit like the door bell, when someone enters the shop, the sensor will play some music to remind the shopkeeper there is a customer in the shop. So, my question is what should I buy in order to achieve the above interaction?

I want the sensor be able to stand alone (no need the computer host). There will be about 20 objects work in the above mechanism. Any advices for how to make it cheaper? Thanks again! :D
Tech

Post by Tech »

Hi

First off, does each object play a different sound? in that case, youd need to able to differentiate between people standing in front of one versus another. There are several ways to do this. If the objects are all in a line, then you can use a long distance ultrasound sensor, such as the FarReach, to play a song depending on how far down the line the visitor is standing. Of course this would only work for one viewer at a time.

Another option is to have each object have a sensor near it. The most straightforward way would be to use a Reach or a ReachClose. The ReachClose, which is an infra-red ranging sensor, would probably work better in this case.