how raw is the data + device w.out I-CubeX software

Discussion of I-CubeX applications and use. Post here questions about your project, product suggestions, bugs, setup issues, ..

Moderator: Tech

wireless

how raw is the data + device w.out I-CubeX software

Post by wireless »

firmware-61-wimicrodig.pdf says: “In host mode unprocessed, raw sensor
values are output only as system exclusive MIDI messages (ie. no stand-alone
mode type channel voice MIDI messages processed from sensor values are
output).”

Some very simple (dumb) questions, but I would be very glad for more light on these issues.

Is a system exclusive MIDI message surrounded by/in a MIDI format and not just simply the sampled value? If I have multiple sensors connected to the Wi-microDig how do I recognize which signal is from which sensor?

Can I use the Wi-microDig to send data/signals to a device that does not have I-CubeX software installed on it? Can I setup the Wi-microDig with a computer with the proper I-CubeX software and then in stand-alone mode send messages/data to a device which is not the same computer, but a different device with proper Bluetooth capabilities.

Thanks a plenty!

-W
mdfogarty
I-CubeX gear: Wi-microDig

Re: how raw is the data + device w.out I-CubeX software

Post by mdfogarty »

Yes, a system exclusive midi message has a sort of wrapper around it. See below for quote from page 25 of the manual you reference.

I'm not really sure about the answers to you other questions.

The [BODY] of the STREAM DATA message contains a list of sensor values from all
active (turned on) sensors, in ascending order. Inactive sensors are not included in the
list. Both 7-bit and 10-bit sensor values are packed together - 10-bit values are sent using
two bytes, where the first byte contains the first 7 bits of the sensor value and the second
byte contains the last 3 bits of the sensor value:
0yyyyyyy: (7-bit lo-res mode)
or
0yyyyyyy, 000zzz00: (10-bit hi-res mode)
yyyyyyy = [0..127]; the most significant bits (or a full data byte in lo-res mode)
zzz = [0..7]; the 3 least significant bits (used in 10-bit hi-res mode only)
Example:
The Wi-microDig has sensor input 1 turned on in lo-res mode (7-bit), sensor input 5
turned on in hi-res mode (10-bit), and sensor input 8 turned on in lo-res mode (7-bit). All
other sensor inputs are turned off. The Wi-microDig acquires the value 100 (sensor input
1), 1000 (sensor input 5), and 21 on (sensor input 8). The Wi-microDig sends the
following message:
240, 125, 0 {DEV}, 0 {STREAM DATA}, 100 {yyyyyyy of sensor input 1}, 125 {yyyyyyy of
sensor input 5}, 0 {zzz of sensor input 5}, 21 {yyyyyyy of sensor input 8}, 247 (F0h, 7Dh,
00h, 00h, 64h, 7Dh, 00h, 15h, F7h)
The sampled value from sensor input 5 is 125 * 8 (i.e. 3 bit shift) + 0 = 1000
Tech

Post by Tech »

[quote="wireless"]

Can I use the Wi-microDig to send data/signals to a device that does not have I-CubeX software installed on it? Can I setup the Wi-microDig with a computer with the proper I-CubeX software and then in stand-alone mode send messages/data to a device which is not the same computer, but a different device with proper Bluetooth capabilities.

-W[/quote]

This would be possible in either mode with a device that implements the serial port profile (SPP). You would still need to parse the MIDI data as described in the manual, and likewise send commands in the format outlined. The following max patch implements this using the serial object, and may be of use.

http://infusionsystems.com/download/max-patch-digs.zip
I-CubeX Technical Support
wireless

Post by wireless »

Thanks a lot for the replies Mr. Mdfogarty and Mr. Tech!
Cheers!
-wireless