Sensor data to ProTools plug-ins

Discussion of I-CubeX applications and use. Post here questions about your project, product suggestions, bugs, setup issues, ..

Moderator: Tech

Simon666
I-CubeX gear: USB-Microdig
WI-Microdig

Sensor data to ProTools plug-ins

Post by Simon666 »

Hello everyone,

I realise that not many people combine iCube with ProTools.
However, I'm teaching an iCube class this week to a class who know ProTools well.
Next year I'll get them onto Abelton in a different class, but for now it's ProTools.

WHAT WORKS :

By using some cc data hacked together by other people who were trying to send non-standard controllers to Protools, I've managed to get control of track volumes, pans, solos and mutes.

I can also control MIDI instruments , as it's a simple right-click MIDI-learn on the functions.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK :

My stumbling block is controlling effect PLUG-IN functions.

I've tried setting up the plug-ins as per normal automation, both separately and together with the Plug-In MAPS that are usually used to control these functions from "supported" controllers - which looks very like a MIDI-learn situation.

It just doesn't work. If it's an instrument track, I can see the sensor MIDI coming into the track , but it doesn't reach the plug-in, which is set to "Learn" Mode.

** Can anyone help ? Hopefully I'm not the only person who's ever tried this, though it would seem I'm the only one who's done so online :)

Here are my setup instructions, so you can see how I've got to where I am :

http://staff.cofa.unsw.edu.au/~simonhun ... ensors.pdf

Any help or advice or leads greatly appreciated!

thanks

Simon