The I-CubeX Discover is a great kit for anyone wanting to learn about instrumenting people,
animals, objects and spaces with sensors and (wirelessly, if needed) obtaining measurement data for analysis and/or control. With more than 25 years of experience in real-time sensor data gathering, I-CubeX is renowned for its ease of use, its variety of sensors and its robustness. It is widely used as a tool for prototyping, experimentation and research.
We offer a whopping 20% discount on the purchase of an I-CubeX Discover WizKit package compared to buying it itemized in a shopping cart. Given automatic quantity discounts when creating a shopping cart, the extra 20% overall discount amounts to an almost 25% discount from the list price for each item. Add more items and we will apply the same discount !
In science, use I-CubeX to obtain human performance data, study animal and human responses to environments that change depending on the sensor data or use it to teach scientific laws.
In engineering, use I-CubeX to develop prototypes of interactive products, create innovative control surfaces enabling new ways to interact with multimedia or use it to guide students in the field of sensor technology.
In the arts, create a responsive environment, build an alternate musical controller, develop novel interactive media pieces or use it to teach about interactive art.
The I-CubeX environment enables you to do all that. It is designed to enable you to use sensors for data measurement and controlling multimedia content. With the I-CubeX, use its wide variety of sensors in your measurement or control application and translate sensor signals with high resolution into digital messages that can be transmitted wirelessly and in real-time to a computer. These messages are easily analyzed with (scientific) data processing software. If you're looking for control or interactivity, send these messages to a variety of devices and/or software programs that control sound synthesis, graphical animation, video effects, etc.. Voilá !
The I-CubeX sensor range covers acceleration, tilt, orientation, touch contact pressure, touch position, impact, vibration, distance, proximity, movement, linear position, rotation, angular velocity, flexion, bio signals, weight as well as air pressure, humidity, temperature, loudness and illumination.
Check out our demo section for more videos and applications.
- Instrument a tennis racket (or any other batting device) with a
Bang sensor and a
Orient4D sensor and study the hitting behaviour of tennis players. See this video ! Transmit the data wirelessly with the WiSystem.
- Study human balance in a variety of visual environments with 4 TouchMini sensors which data controls a variety of visual effects. See also this BalanceTile demo video.
- Capture finger motion capture with a
- Build a robotics device with perimeter detection using the Advance, ReachFar and ReachClose sensors.
- Create a climate control system with the Air2D, Hot, Humid and Light sensors. Use the outputs of the USB-microSystem to turn on/off a Switch.
- With the ReachOn sensor create a novel control surface where merely pointing towards an object is enough to exert control. See this Interactive picture frame video !
- With the Turn,
prototype a physical control surface for your favourite software.
Interface all the sensors with a USB-microSystem.
- Get hands-on technical and interface your own sensor using a
AdaptCableKit, BreakoutCableD-01 or HackCableD-01.
- Innovate game playing by designing your own game controller using a
Orient4D and a TouchMiniOn sensor.
- Make a laserharp "string" with a breakbeam made of Flash sensor and SeeLaser actuator. Or detect human/animal displacements with this breakbeam.
- With the ReachClose and Touch sensors, create a Theremin-alike MIDI controller that turns your mere handwaving into soundeffects. See this Theremin emulator video !
- With the MoveOn
make your interactive art installation aware of visitors and with the ReachFar and/or ReachClose detect how close they approach. Hide ReachOn sensors in objects so that mere proximity of a visitor's hand creates a response.
Add a Touch sensor to allow visitors to change ambient sounds and visuals or as a lighting controller.
- With the Touch,
Turn and Air sensors,
extend your guitar to tweak your strumming with a subtle caress, a flick of the wrist, a different finger position or change in breath pressure. See this Hyper Guitar video !
- Use the Air2D to measure the change in air pressure inside a balloon when it is squeezed, and explore gameplay with it.
What you get
The I-CubeX Discover includes
For more sensors, actuators or accessories, check our product listing !
I-CubeX Discover comes with downloadable, regularly updated software: Connect routing & mapping software, EditorX standalone mode configuration editor, host mode configuration Link software (MacOS / Windows), SensePlay multimedia mapping software, plugins for 3rd party software, as well as manuals and tutorials.
There are many more software and devices that can be used with I-CubeX sensors.
I-CubeX can easily be used with 3rd party software, such as:
The I-CubeX Discover was specifically developed for educators and researchers in academic institutions. We are glad to be able to offer you the I-CubeX Discover at a discounted price compared to purchasing all the items separately. This discount is particularly aimed at educators and researchers who can apply for grants. If you need assistance with understanding how I-CubeX Discover would benefit your work so that you can include it in your grant please do not hesitate to contact us - if you explain to us your objectives we might be able to help you achieve them faster by using the I-CubeX Discover.